Victoria’s Chocolate Cake
I have a real hankering for good old fashioned chocolate cake. It doesn’t
take long to make and is super yummy. Everyone will be singing your praises if you decide to give this recipe a spin.
- 1 and 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk (you can use sour milk)
- 3/4 cup Melted Butter
- 3 Eggs
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside. Sift the flour and then mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Melt butter and add to dry ingredients.
Next add eggs and buttermilk to dry ingredients. Mix everything together until smooth with an electric mixer. Pour into pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
When done remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. After the cake has cooled, slice cake in half to make 2 layers. It is easier to slice if the cake has been refrigerated for a couple of hours.
Frost with Chocolate Butter Frosting. Use 1/3 of the frosting between the two layers, 1/3 on top and the rest around the cake.
Victoria's Chocolate Cake should be served at room temperature. Serves 12 people.
**To Make Sour Milk: 3/4 cup of milk and add either two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit for five to ten minutes.
Chocolate Butter Frosting:
- 3/4 Cup Softened Butter (1 1/2 Sticks)
- 2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Squares (4 ounces) Semisweet Chocolate – Melted & Cooled
- 2 Squares (2 ounces) Unsweetened Chocolate – Melted & Cooled
In a large bowl, with a mixer at low speed, combine butter, vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. Mix until almost combined. Next add the semisweet and
unsweetened chocolates. Increase the speed to high, beat frosting until light and fluffy which should be for about one minute. Makes about 2 and 1/2 cups.