July 4th S’Mores:
The first published recipe for S’Mores is attributed to Loretta Scott Crew whose
recipe appeared in 1927’s Tramping and Trailing With The Girl Scouts. Graham crackers with melted marshmallows and chocolate prepared over a campfire, this camping favorite is great for our nation’s birthday! Since 1927 there have been many variations of the famed S’More.
- 4 Large Marshmallows
- 4 Graham Crackers
- 4 (1.5 Ounce) Chocolate Bar
Heat the marshmallows over an open fire until they begin to brown and melt. Careful not to burn them. Break the graham crackers in half. Place the chocolate bars between the graham crackers and the hot marshmallows. Let the marshmallows cool a bit before eating so that you don’t burn your mouth.
Makes 4 S’Mores.
Here are some inventive variations that you might want to try.
- Use shortbread cookies instead of graham crackers.
- Use Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups instead of chocolate bars.
- Use chocolate graham crackers instead of regular graham crackers and marshmallow fluff instead of toasted marshmallows.
- How about using dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate and a bit of blackberry preserves on your graham crackers?
- Or try using Nutella instead of chocolate. Throw on some raspberries while you’re at it.
OR you could make a S’Mores Milkshake.
Broil 8 marshmallows and turn until both sides are brown. In a food processor or mixer blend 1 pint of chocolate ice cream, 3/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 6 of the toasted marshmallows. Top with crushed graham crackers and the 2 remaining toasted marshmallows. Makes 2 milkshakes.