News Alert
Grad Student From Brooklyn Killed in Hit-and-Run…

Four Injured in Apartment Fire on Seventh Avenue, Szechuan Delight Suffered Water Damage

A fire broke out in a third floor apartment on Seventh Avenue, two people injured and two firefighters suffered injuries.

Two residents and two firemen were injured in a fire that broke out in a third-floor apartment on Seventh Avenue Wednesday at around 12:25 p.m.

According to Chief John Polly of Battalion 32 who was on the scene, the fire ignited two rooms: the bedroom and kitchen as smoke billowed throughout the hallway of the building between Garfield Place and Carroll Street.

One victim, a woman, self evacuated before the FDNY responded and was standing on the sidewalk as Ladder 122, which was first to arrive on the scene, pulled up.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to .

The second victim, a man, was found in the hallway on the third floor and was a little disoriented as firemen from Ladder 122 found him. They brought him to the front window and he was removed by an aerial ladder.

His injuries were not serious, but EMS treated him with an oxygen mask for smoke inhalation and he did not receive further medical treatment.

Chief Polly also said that two firefighters were injured: one from Squad 1 suffered minor burns and one responder from Ladder 122 suffered a back injury.

A firefighter whose face was covered in soot as he stood in the street, said he ran into the building before the hoses were at work. He said it was “hot, smoky and dangerous.”

A second floor resident of the building, which is above , said she was in her apartment when she smelled smoke and heard someone yell, “Help! Fire!” She said she called 9-1-1 immediately and evacuated the building.

Three floors below, Szechuan Delight’s kitchen was flooded from the two hoses used to extinguish the flames.

The restaurant, which was serving lunch when the fire broke out, was evacuated. No one was injured, but half-eaten plates speckled the tabletops as water dripped from the ceiling.

The owner, who owns the entire building and would not give his name, said that they will be closed for the time being, but does not know how long.

The fire was put out by 1:05 p.m., according to an FDNY spokesman. 

hank December 22, 2011 at 12:16 AM
Why don't the local laws require use of EDI's in buildings like this? They could really make a difference in locating a safe exit "below" the smoke layer at all times..... I just don't understand why we can have a restaurant with people living above it; yet we don't take the most precautions. We use the www.thelightthatsaveslives.com EDI's and love them. Bless all the firefighters, -Cap'n Hank


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »