FDNY Puts Out Rooftop Fire on Seventh Ave. and Second St. in 16 Minutes!

A blaze broke out on a rooftop deck at 12:47 and was extinguished in almost 15 minutes on Friday.

On Friday afternoon, the FDNY rushed to a rooftop fire on a Seventh Avenue apartment building at the corner of Second Street.

According to the FDNY, there were no injuries, but there was significant damage to a bedroom in a fourth floor apartment.

Deputy Chief John Hodgens of Division 11 said that the call came in at 12:47 p.m., they arrived on the scene at 12:51 p.m. and extinguished the flames by 1:07 p.m.

“We put out the fire in 16 minutes,” Deputy Chief Hodgens said on the scene.

“We had a fire on the roof deck that extended to the rear apartment on the top floor,” Deputy Chief Hodgens said, explaining that the blaze broke out on top of 194 Seventh Avenue.

Hodgens said that no one was injured during the blaze. He also said that they do not know the cause yet. 

Five engines responded to the fire with four ladder companies and a total of 60 firemen. Seventh Avenue was closed from Third Street to First Street while the firemen climbed two ladders to get to the flames on the roof of a four floor brick building.

Passersby stopped to watch the engines, ladders and the firemen do their job in almost 15 minutes.

“I saw a lot of black smoke, it was curving everywhere,” John Morrison, who lives in Park Slope, said while watching a fireman climb down a ladder on Seventh Avenue. “But they put it out so fast. At first, the smoke was black. But within seconds after they started putting it out it turned white.”

Sara July 06, 2012 at 07:04 PM
That is seriously impressive. i hope these guys know they're appreciated!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something